Boyd Gaming is a nationwide casino operator with eight properties in Las Vegas. Technically, they own 10 in Las Vegas but don’t account for the two Cannery properties in their marketing. The casinos are set up in two groups: Las Vegas locals and downtown Las Vegas.
Boyd Gaming locals properties are: Aliante, Gold Coast, The Orleans Sam’s Town and Suncoast. Cannery and Eastside Cannery would probably fall into this category as well. Downtown Las Vegas properties are the California, Fremont, and Main Street Station. The Fremont is the only property under the canopy of the Fremont Street Experience. The others are just a block north of the mall of casinos.
Boyd Gaming is currently running two blackjack promotions. While the downtown Las Vegas promotion has been around for awhile, the locals promotion is a little more elaborate and may not be around beyond December. Fremont Casino in downtown Las Vegas offers $3 blackjack every day.
Suncoast Casino currently has a weekly blackjack tournament. Playing regular blackjack games and participating in blackjack tournaments are similar but not the same. The Double Down Blackjack Tournament takes place at the Suncoast every Wednesday in December at 11am and noon. This is not a promotional contest and there is a fee of $25.
The prize pool will be a minimum of $1,000 and could be more depending on how many people register for the tournament. Ten prizes are as follows:
- 1st Place will receive 50% of the prize fund ($500 minimum)
- 2nd Place will receive 20% of the prize fund ($200 minimum)
- 3rd-5th Places will each receive 10% of the prize fund ($100 minimum each)
- 6th and 7th Place will each receive a $50 “Free Bet” (not cash)
- 8th-10th Places will each receive a $25 “Free Bet” (not cash)
Obviously it pays to finish in the Top 5. Winners will be determined by a combined total from two sessions of play. This casino caters to an older Las Vegas local so you’ll probably be playing against experienced blackjack players. Wednesday is also a Young At Heart day so expect plenty of entrants 50 and above.
Here are some rules for the Double Down Blackjack Tournament:
- All tournament play will use a six-deck shoe.
- Normal Suncoast Casino splitting and doubling down rules will apply.
- Players must use standard hand signals for hitting or standing. (Dealers will make sure to have a clear and distinguishable signal from the contestant).
- Blackjack strategy cards will not be permitted.
- Each participant will play in two 20 hand sessions with $1000 in non-negotiable, non-redeemable tournament chips. Each participant may pay a $5 dealer add-on for $250 additional Tournament Chips.
- After completion of the 15th hand, and before the 16th hand, the dealer will count down each contestant’s chips in view of all other players at the table. Another count will occur after each round. Players should estimate other player’s bankroll for more information while playing.
- Minimum bet is $10. All bets should be in $10 increments with a maximum wager of $1000. A remaining $5 chip (from a natural blackjack) will be count as face value for scoring only. The $5 chips cannot be played.
- Players may not “Sit Out” any hands during tournament play.
This is a small blackjack tournament with a nice 20x return for the winner. The base prize pool accounts for 40 people entering and playing. Competition should be fairly minimal. Even the 3rd through 5th place winners will see a 4x return.