Paysafecard is a unique option in that it works like a prepaid Visa card. The difference between Paysafecard and a prepaid card, though, is that you don’t have to carry a card to use it.
What you get instead is a 16-digit pin number, which you can buy from a number of grocery, drug and convenience stores from all over the world. Your pin can be used to shop at more than 4,000 websites and 450,000 sales outlets in 33 countries. And, of course, Paysafecard can be used to hundreds of online casinos, sports books, poker rooms and bingo halls.
Paysafecard has branches all over the world, including the US. However, they make it very clear on their website that the US branch is UIGEA compliant. That means that Americans can use Paysafecard, but they won’t be able to fund their blackjack accounts with it. That’s unfortunate, because there are Real Time Gaming casinos that accept Paysafecard, and nearly all of them accept US players.
Casinos, Software Providers and Jurisdictions That Accept Paysafecard
Here is a list of casinos, software providers and jurisdictions that accept Paysafecard.
- Real Time Gaming (RTG)
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Isle of Man
There are more. In fact, if you visit the Paysafecard website and comb through the sites that accept this as payment, you’ll see that they have 140+ casinos and sports books listed. And I know that doesn’t even cover them all, because we’ve listed a few here that’s not on their site. The bottom line; lots of casinos accept Paysafecard as a payment method.
How to Get Started with Paysafecard
Getting started with Paysafecard is simple. Here’s how you do it.
First off, if you don’t know where to buy Paysafecard, you have two options:
- Use their app. It’s compatible with iOS and Android. This will give you locations that you can visit to buy your pin(s).
- Visit their website, choose your country and enter in your address and/or town. They will give you a list of retailers.
In the US you can find Paysafecard in stores / gas stations such as Safeway, Randalls and Price Rite.
The denominations that you can buy will depend on where you live. In the US you can buy pins valued at 10, 25, 50 or 100 dollars. In the UK you can buy pins valued at 10, 25, 50, 75 and 100 pounds. You’ll need to visit a location that sells them, or check out Paysafecard’s websites to learn more.
How to Use Paysafecard
To use Paysafecard all you need to do is choose this option in the cashier. You’ll choose your currency and how much you want to deposit. If you plan to combine vouchers (if allowed) you should enter in the total amount you plan to deposit.
From there you’ll be shown a screen to enter in your pin. Enter your pin and then hit submit.
The deposit should hit your account immediately. At least within a few minutes. Most casinos will cover any costs associated with making a deposit. And that’s all there is to it.
Paysafecard is one of those options that cannot be used to make withdrawals. So you’ll need a secondary banking method to handle that.
Casinos will cover your fees when making a deposit. Most of them will, at least.
Paysafecard mentions on their website that you won’t be charged any additional fees for the first 12 months. After the 12 months, if you still have a balance, you’ll be charged 2 (dollars/pounds/etc) each month as a maintenance fee.
Apparently stores that accept Paysafecard have fees, but this is more or less like credit/debit cards. It’ll be hit or miss which stores do and which stores don’t.
Advantages and Disadvantages
There are a number of good things, as well as a few bad things, about using Paysafecard. Lets start with the good stuff.
- Total anonymity. There’s no name or identity associated with the account. So no one will know that you’re depositing to play blackjack online.
- Limited possible loss. Since each pin can only have so much money attached to it, your risk and loss due to theft and fraud is much less, especially compared to other banking methods.
- There’s no card. You don’t have to worry about carrying a card, let alone losing it and having your funds stolen.
- Instant deposits. Paysafecard is like debit or credit cards in that your deposits will hit your casino account instantly.
- Readily available. Paysafecard is available in nearly half a million sales outlets worldwide. Chances are that you can find one near you.
- No fees. This is a low maintenance payment method.
- Each pin can only have so much money on it. This can be a hassle when you want to deposit more than $100 or $200 into your account. You can only combine a maximum of 10 cards per purchase, or about $1,000.
- Paysafecard is an easy target for phishing. Hackers will setup a fake website, send out emails and try to get their victims to enter their pin(s) onto the site.
Clearly, the advantages of using Paysafecard outweighs the disadvantages. I would definitely recommend using Paysafecard, especially if you’d rather keep your online gambling and blackjack sessions discreet.