Java Blackjack Games
For the longest time Mac users have gotten the short end of the stick. Online casinos only had downloadable software for PC users. Mac and Linux players had to find alternative methods for playing blackjack online. They either had to setup a dual boot system or emulator. Some players couldn’t play online at all.
But that’s the past. The number of players on Mac computers has risen, so much so that online casinos cannot ignore them any longer. So what casinos have done is create what’s known as no download or Java casinos. These games play from your browser, so anyone with internet access can play.
Nearly every online casino offers Java (or Flash) based games nowadays. So to help you quickly find a Java casino we’ve done all the research for you. What you’ll find below are the absolute best-of-the-best casinos that have Java-based blackjack games.
6-Steps to Understanding Java Casinos for Beginners
We realize that not everyone is tech savvy or has played at an online casino before. So below you’ll find a quick start guide. By the end you should be able to visit one of our recommend casinos and start playing blackjack within minutes.
1 – What is Java?
Java is a programming language created by Sun Microsystems. This platform was created so that developers could create programs for any operating system without having to worry about compatibility. So long as the developer uses Java and the consumer has Java installed to their computer, the games will run.
Java is standard for a lot of applications. You probably have Java installed on your computer already – you just might not realize it. If you don’t already have it you can go to Java.com and download it for free.
2 – Operating Systems Compatible With Java
All operating systems are compatible with Java. You can download Java to your Windows, Mac or Linux operating system.
Why would you play Java casino games on Windows when you could just download the casino’s software?
Because online casino software is heavy. There are tons of files to download, as online casinos have as many as 100 to 400+ games. However, chances are that most of you won’t ever play all those games. In fact, you might only want to play blackjack. So why bother downloading all of those files that can slow down your computer and take up space you could use elsewhere, when you could just log-in to the casino from your browser and play there – without having to download anything?
3 – How to Get Started at Java Casinos
Getting started is very simple. Assuming you already have Java downloaded to your computer, all you need to do is:
- Visit one of our recommended casinos.
- Create an account. You’ll need to give the casino your name, number, address and email. Then you’ll be asked to verify your account.
- Log-in to the casino.
- Make a deposit (if you want to play for real money).
- Choose the game you want to play.
It’s that simple. If you run into any problems you might find the answers on our site, or you can always contact the casino’s support.
Keep in mind that if you don’t intend to play blackjack for real money that many casinos won’t require that you create an account. You can just choose the game you want to play and start playing.
4 – Playing Java Casino Games
Java games are available for both real money and play money. The games are identical to the games in the download, so you can play for the same table limits, using the same rules and side bonuses. You won’t notice any differences between the two.
What you may notice is that some games are not available in the instant play casino. I couldn’t tell you exactly why that is, but if I had to guess, the casino only creates and lists the most popular games in their Java casino. So instead of the 100 games you might find in the download, the Java casino may only have 50 or 60.
In my experience the games that are removed are table games and special variations. But if you like to play classic or European blackjack, or any other traditional casino game, you should be just fine.
5 – General Stuff
Here are some general details about playing at Java casinos.
- Everything else about Java casinos will be the same as download casinos. You’ll make deposits and withdrawals the same way, using the same methods and limits. Contacting support is the same, too.
- There are Java casinos for US players, too. You’ll find our top picks above.
- Java and Flash casinos are different. You’ll notice that many websites make these programs out to be the same thing, and I can understand that from the outside looking in.
However, they are two entirely different platforms. Flash is created by Adobe, which is what most online casinos use to run their no download games. If you choose to play at a Flash casino you’ll need to make sure to download the most recent version to your computer (which is free). But, like I mentioned above about Java, it’s highly likely that you already have it installed on your computer, but just don’t realize it.
6 – The Pros and Cons to Java Casinos
If you’re on a Mac or Linux OS, you don’t have much of a choice for where you play. You have to choose a casino that offers an instant play Java (or Flash) games.
However, if you’re on Windows you might wonder why you might consider playing at a Java casino versus the download. So I thought I’d share a few pros and cons with you to help you make your decision.
Java Casino Pros
- No download necessary. You won’t clog up your computer with unnecessary files.
- Play from any computer. If you download the software to your computer you’ll have to play from that computer, unless you intend to download the software multiple times. However, with Java casinos you can play from any computer that has internet access.
- Avoid viruses. Unfortunately some casino downloads are not safe for your computer.
- No download means no desktop icon. For some people that means less temptation to log-in and play.
Java Casino Cons
- Security may be an issue. If you choose to play in public, you run the risk of someone catching a glimpse of your user name and password. You’ll want to be sure to change these frequently.
- There are fewer casino games to choose from.
- The graphics and sounds may not be as good as the download.
Despite the downsides, I think Java casinos are the way to go if you only like to play a handful of games, and most of them are available in the no download casino.